Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sugar and Gluten-Free French Toast

Yesterday I went through a little withdraw phase. I could tell my body was craving sugar, as I had a headache and felt hungry and weak later in the day. Today, I don't have these feelings and am hoping the withdrawals are short lived!
Last night I made french toast and berries. Sounds like a fattening bad dinner, but mine was sugar and gluten free. I am testing out the gluten issue, and am going to see if it affects me in any way. If it does, then going gluten free will be what I'll have to do. If not, I will eat only a little bit of it and really be mindful about breads etc. I LOVE BREAD! So this one is a little hard for me. But I also know its not good for my body, and that makes me not want it. You hear so many things about gluten. Is it good or is it bad? For me, it works, and in Dr. Junger's Clean Eats book, he talks about how our bodies have to work extra hard to digest the gluten. I would just rather give my body a break for awhile!

For the French Toast I used Udi's gluten free multi-grain bread, organic eggs, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and cinnamon. Instead of using butter to cook, I used coconut oil. I added strawberries, raspberries and pure maple syrup for the topping. It was pretty good, but sure didn't taste like the 900 calorie french toast I had aboard Royal Caribbean! So, if you are looking to make a "healthy" french toast. Try this one! You can also substitute the gluten free bread for whole wheat organic bread and follow the same recipe!

French Toast
4 pasture-raised eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
Up to 1/4 cup coconut oil
2 to 3 slices gluten-free bread


Directions
Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk and spices in a large shallow dish.
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in it. While the skillet warms, transfer four slices of bread into the egg mixture and allow both sides to absorb a lot of the moisture.
Carefully transfer the bread slices onto the skillet and cook until golden brown.
Once cooked through, cut each slice of bread in half, top with fresh berries and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment