Friday, January 4, 2013

The ABA Journey



"Welcome to PSY5005- Orientation to Graduate Learning in Psychology".
This is what I read in the syllabus as I opened it up today for my class starting on Monday. AM I CRAZY?! I just graduated with my Masters in Education last month, not even 3 complete weeks ago, and here I am again...AGAIN!
I am not crazy, maybe just a little obsessed with being in school! I am now working as a behavior assistant therapist in families homes, working with children with disabilities and using ABA techniques to change behavior for the better. This is something that I love doing ever since I taught special education at TFA. Because I have to take the BCBA board exam (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) to become a certified Behavior Analyst, I need to take the required courses.
                          

My plan was to just take the courses to meet requirements for the board exam. But after speaking with my academic advisor, she informed me that I would just be FOUR courses away from a second masters degree. So after some thought, I decided to go with it. I am now pursuing my Masters of Science in Psychology with a specialization in Applied Behavior Analysis.
While I continue school (again), I will be working with Developing Positive Changes, and a great mentor who is helping me on this crazy yet rewarding journey! I am already loving my clients, and I think they love me too :)





No comments:

Post a Comment