Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Great Reminder

There are days like today when I am reminded why I do what I do. Almost daily, I have someone tell me or ask me- "How do you do it?" "I would go crazy!", or they simply bow to me. I am not sure why they think I am a Saint, but I have been called it more times than I can remember.

Kindergarten. A (small) classroom where you have around 20 children who love to tattle. ALL THE TIME. You are constantly re-directing- reminding them to sit down, talk quietly, stop talking all together, pick up your trash that you spilled all over my floor that I JUST swept. I am a a doctor who applies bandaids to non existent injuries, and a tooth saver who saves freshly fallen out teeth.
I am a counselor to the children who need to talk about their imaginary friends, children who are going through divorce or who simply love to be dramatic (my lovely 6 year old girls). My lunch time is surrounded by constant tattling about how someone is eating, what they mixed with what, and who put their ketchup on what part of the plate, as I open 17 drinks, yogurts and clean up spills. Don't forget that I have to TEACH. Math, Reading, Handwriting, Science, Social Studies and Art.
This is my life- every single day.





You get the picture. My days are hectic, and simply exhausting. I used to work in a school where the kids had everything they wanted, and more. The kids in high school had nicer cars than I did. It was the norm to see a 16 year old driving a brand new Mercedes.
The parents were so involved you wished they would go away! Thats how it was, and that's all I knew.

Now I am teaching in a school where most of the students are not so fortunate. Some of my kids have home lives that we can't even fathom, and it has made me realize that what I do as a teacher to these little ones, is so very important. When I start to get overwhelmed, I have to remember why God put me where He did. And I was reminded of that today.
I have a student in my class who's family is in great need. God put this child in my class for a reason, and it was shown today by another mother in my class who is stepping up and doing something for this family that is truly the hands and feet of Jesus.  I just wanted to say Thank You-

No comments:

Post a Comment